One of the world’s most useful networking technologies, Wi-Fi support millions of people in homes, businesses, and public locations around the world. But how many people know even these basic facts about Wi-Fi technology ?
- Hedy Lamarr, a Hollywood actress invented the basic technology for WiFi :p
- Wi-Fi, the name was coined from the terms Wireless & Fidelity.
- Wi-Fi is direct descendant of the term Hi-Fi used for audio playback and recording equipment.
- Wi-Fi, very often referred to as 802.11 technology, because it is based on the IEEE 802.11 standard. This standard further has the following sub-standards which can be used for Wi-Fi communications such as:802.11a – It uses high frequency, high speed but cannot penetrate walls.
802.11b – slower; about 11 MB/s, lacks range but can penetrate walls.
802.11c – not used for Wi-Fi
802.11g – Most commonly used. Speed : 54 mbps.
801.11n – The future of Wi-Fi, 150mbps.
- 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b Wi-Fi standard equipment can all work together, the alternative 802.11a standard is not compatible with any of these.
- Special Wi-Fi access points that support both 802.11a and b (or higher) radios must be used to bridge the two.
- Wi-Fi transmission uses “Spread Spectrum“-which spreads the signal in the frequency domain to occupy higher bandwidths.More Accurately, it employs the single-carrier direct-sequence spread spectrum radio technology. This increases the security and reliability of the transmitted signals.
- A well-designed feature of Wi-Fi called Dynamic Rate Scaling causes wi-fi connection speed to vary with distance.