Rehabilitation Engineering is the use of Engineering Science and its principles to develop devices and technological solutions that can assist individuals to recover from their disabilities caused due to disease or injuries. It assists individuals by aiding recovery of their physical and cognitive functions.
Rehabilitation Engineers build designed devices and systems to assist a wide range of needs that can assist the needy. These designed tools help people build up and make over their day-to-day activities, be it their education, employment or independent living. These tools can assist individuals with a wide range of requirements like communication, vision, hearing, mobility and cognition.
This Rehabilitation Engineering involves simple observations on the performance of tasks by individuals and develops convenient devices to eliminate future discomforts and injuries. This technology helps disabled individuals to operate computers and other devices just by imagining the job they would need to perform with the help of sophisticated brain computer interfaces.
The team of Rehabilitation engineers improve on their rehabilitation standard methods to recover and regain mobility of lost functions due to disease, Genetic Disorders, or injuries.
8 futuristic rehabilitation Engineering Technology for improved quality of life for differently abled persons.
Research conducted in Rehabilitation Engineering includes design and development of innovative techniques and technologies that can help people regain physical or cognitive functions. Few examples are:
This technology lets robots be used even as therapy aids other than completely or only as assistive devices.
Individuals suffering from impaired movement as a result of stroke are provided with mobility training by Smart Rehabilitation Robotics.
- Physical prosthetics: This part of research continues to make Development in function and design to provide exact pace and functionality as that of natural limbs. Such as smarter upper and lower limbs. Artificial legs with powered ankles, exoskeletons, dexterous upper hands and limbs.
- Virtual Rehabilitation: This technology Uses virtual reality simulation, to provide rehabilitation exercises for physical and cognitive problems. These tools provide a range of motion with objective measures, they are motivating and entertaining patients to exercise. Tele Rehabilitation helps the therapist monitor the patients over the internet and patients can perform their exercise at home, which is cost effective and much convenient.
- Sensory prosthetics: Are retinal and cochlear implants that can restore to an extent lost function, providing communication and navigation.
- Advanced kinematics: This technology is used to monitor muscle electrophysiology, human motion and brain activity with much accuracy to prevent future injuries.
- Brain computer interfaces: Are to enable extremely decreased persons to connect and access information. This technology allows disabled persons to move a computer cursor or a robotic arm that can reach and grasp items, or send text messages.
- Modulation of organ function: This method is used in treating fecal and urinary incontinence. In the case of spinal cord injuries new advances in neuromodulation of the peripheral nervous system offer hope to treat organ functions.
- Secondary disorder treatment: Example pain management.
Keep browsing iSkulltech to get more interesting news from the tech world. You can follow us on Facebook and Instagram to get the notifications instantly.